28 April 2015

Eating Clean Update v.2 + Fitness Goals

It's true what they say, most new year's resolutions fall flat after February or March. January's goal to eat clean went extremely well, February was equally as good with smooth sailing into starting a cardio regime. Then, the dreaded March came. The part of the year in Canada when it can be stifling hot one day, and be sub zero with a blizzard the next. Needless to say, I felt discouraged about getting outside for hiking, long bike rides and something as small as walking to the store. 

My addiction to food also took hold of me in March and I relapsed full throttle into a bag of chips and a butt load of caffeine. After a good month of that, I finally forced myself to get back out there and start my cardio, for real this time. And I'm proud to say I've pushed myself farther than I ever have before. My first trek was a breeze, 4.5km of straight track speed walking. I couldn't believe how easy it was, and surprisingly very addictive. That same week I did another two 4km walks on the streets of my home town. Mix that in with a couple 8km bike rides with Jesse (who, I might add, is an excellent coach and cheerleader haha). But, my biggest accomplishment happened a few days ago when Cherie and I took to the trails and ended up hiking a near 11 kilometers, all while pushing our kids in strollers through tough terrain. I felt amazing afterwards despite my sore, pleading muscles. 


I never thought in my entire life time that I'd ever say this, but, I actually really love cardio. I look forward to my days off now so that I can challenge myself and see how much farther I can hike, where I can find rougher terrain, how far I can jog. My goal is to be running by the end of summer. 

Despite the major decline in my clean eating, I've managed to lose 20lbs since January. But, the greatest reward so far isn't the weight loss, it's the joy I've found in exercising regularly. I can honestly see how people can get addicted to it now. The best part is that the more I jog, the more encouraged I feel to eat better. So, in an attempt to get back on track here is a list of fitness goals I've set for myself for May:

° Cut caffeine out (again)
° Replace sugary snacks with fruit and veggies
° Remember to start my day with 1 liter of water before eating, for cleansing
° Hike 5k in under 40 minutes
° Learn proper stretching and posture for long hikes and jogging
° Walk an accumulated 50k before the end of May
° Train myself to get proper sleep
° Lose another 5lbs, but no pressure

Without sleep, I am nothing. And with the way I am, I go through a pattern where I can go sometimes weeks without proper sleep. I'm talking, an hour or two a night and then on the flip side, 10 hours a night. I know that if I could sleep a proper 7-8 hours, I'll eat better and be well rested, so my body will love hiking, running and biking even more.

How have you been doing with your new year's resolution? At what point did you fall out of your goals, and if not, what helped you succeed the first four months?

xo Amber 

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading my blog! I appreciate your comments and try to read and reply to all of them! ♥

© Northern Flicker Co.
Design:Maira Gall.