6 May 2015

Snap Pea & Dill Salad

When I was a kid my family never really experimented with food. It was basically like if you knew what day it was, you knew what you were getting for dinner. One of my favourite things about being an adult and being the head of the kitchen in the house, is that I can constantly create new meals and share them with friends and family. There was so many flavours I was completely unaware of growing up. And that led me to be somewhat of a picky eater for awhile. Since eating healthy I've discovered a whirlwind of new flavours and my taste buds are rejoicing! 

There's nothing better on a hot day than a crisp, fresh salad. Especially ones with lots of colour, and lots of flavour. This salad pretty much tops my list of favourite foods these days. It's extremely green, I'll admit, but, what it lacks in colour it surely makes up for in bold flavour. The tartness of lemon blends so well with the freshness of dill and the mouthwatering crisp texture of snap peas, celery and cucumbers make me feel so refreshed. Say fresh again? You got it - this salad is fuggin' fresh, my friends.


Snap Pea & Dill Salad
1 package of snap peas
1/2 cucumber
2 ribs of celery
Fresh spinach
1/8 cup of lemon juice (just about half a lemon)
1/4 extra virgin olive oil
1/4 canola or vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp honey
Handful of fresh dill
Sea salt & black pepper to taste

Wash the vegetables well, cut the ends & peel the snap peas and celery. Cut all the vegetables on a bias and toss together in a medium bowl. 

In a food processor or blender, combine lemon juice, oils, garlic, honey, and dill. Process until it turns into a bright green liquid. Taste, and add salt and pepper accordingly. As for the oil, you can use straight olive oil, I usually cut it with a different oil because I think it tastes better, but it's really all about you! Pour half the vinaigrette into the veggie mixture and toss until well coated. Save the other half in a small container or a squeeze bottle. 

Serve with a handful of spinach for each serving. Add about 1/2 cup snap pea and dill mixture and toss. Drizzle more vinaigrette if desired, or crumble feta cheese on top if that's what you're into. Enjoy! 

Serves 4-8 depending on portion size. Store in refrigerator for 2-3 days.

Tip: Olive oil hardens in the fridge, so take it out a bit earlier to let it get back to room temp before serving.  

xo Amber

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading my blog! I appreciate your comments and try to read and reply to all of them! ♥

© Northern Flicker Co.
Design:Maira Gall.